Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Book Review: "Love, Rosie" by Cecilia Ahern

Ok, after this book -- I promise to finish reading something a bit more literary and less fluffy. 

Side note: I recently downloaded 264 new books on my kindle and the nerdy fat girl inside me has been jumping for joy. I am now carrying my own personal library, filled with books that I enjoy. It's exhilarating! 

About the Book: 
Based in Dublin, Ireland -- Rosie Dunne and Alex Stewart have been best friends since they were little. Sleepovers, play dates, getting drunk together for the first time, everything... but actually dating each other.

Alex's family ends up moving to Boston and as a result, misses the opportunity to attend Rosie's debutante ball. She ends up going with someone she doesn't like and wounds up being pregnant. [Don't ask. I don't know why she would even go that far with someone who's nickname is 'Brian-the-whine']

After a bout of missed opportunities and multiple chances for the two to get together, things just don't work out for the both of them. They both end up marrying other people and the whole 'beating around the bush' tactic, of trying to find out how the other feels, just ends up leaving the both of them with a lot of wasted time with the wrong people.

SPOILER ALERT: 
This is one of those annoyingly addictive stories, where two childhood friends are meant to be together -- the annoying part being -- that they don't get together until they turn 50!!!! What is the point of knowing you're in love and not fighting for it sooner? Or not expressing the way you feel? 

Why am I so angry you ask? Because, I had the most amazing man right in front of my eyes (not to sound clich√©, but yes, he is my best friend) and one of our topics of conversation, since we began dating, has been to try and figure out why we haven't been together sooner. He is amazing. 

Anyways.. the book is good for what it is -- chick-flicky literature, easy to read and I love how the story is told via various kinds of corespondent methods. 

Read it if you're a sucker for a love story.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like 'love in the time of cholera' lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES!! That was another frustrating love story. Love is timeless, ageless, and senseless when we're young -- apparently. lol

      Delete