Monday, February 2, 2015

Healthy Snack Ideas: Gluten Free, 'Amaze-balls' Recipe

Blogging in general doesn't take a lot of time, but somewhere along the lines, blogging took a back seat and now I people, I AM BACK.

I kick off this blog with a recipe:

For the past year and a half, the husband and I have been doing our best to stay Gluten Free (GF) as much as we can. We don't freak if we can't get a GF option for what we want, neither of us are celiac, however we definitely do like the way we feel when we eat a predominantly GF diet - made from scratch - not processed.

Inspired by my absolute favorite KIND Bars
 Came these absolutely awesome, 'AMAZE-BALLS' (My husband and best friends all decided to start calling them Amaze-balls after eating the first one)
Amazingly enough, I had all these yummy nuts, seeds and goodies lying around the house, and decided to make the most of it.

First I gathered my ingredients,
Chopped them into itty-bitty pieces, tossed them into a bowl.
I then mixed the honey into my ingredients, till just covered, and placed it into a prepared pan, off they went at 300 degrees (F) oven for 30 mins and slightly golden brown.  
I let the mixture cool till I could handle it with my hands, so while the mixture was still sticky and warm, I rolled them into balls and set them to cool in the refrigerator.
Oh I forgot to mention, I totally added GF Chocolate Chips before rolling the balls. Totally worth it. :) 

Once cooled, I popped them into cupcake cups and into a container. This will stay good in your refrigerator for up to two weeks, but it only lasted like 3~4 days in my house, because my husband love love LOVED these! 

What is great about this recipe is, you can totally use any nuts and seeds that you like / have around, and feel free to adjust the amount of either ingredient, based on your preference. This recipe is super easy to play around with! 

INGREDIENTS
1 Cup Chopped Pecans, chopped (I would increase this to 2 cups in my next recipe, I loved the flavor!)
2 Cups Cashews, chopped 
1 Cup Shredded Coconut 
1/2 Cup Pine Nuts, whole
2 Tablespoons Flax Seeds
1/2 Cup Pitted Dates, chopped up into small pieces 
1/2 Cup Old Fashioned Oats (GF) 
1/4 Teaspoon Cinnamon Powder
A pinch of Kosher Salt
1/2 Cup Honey, use less / more to coat incase you make less or more of the mixture
**1/2 Cup GF Chocolate Chips, This is an optional add in, after your mixture has come out of the oven

Enjoy and don't forget to Follow Me On Twitter!! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment